Saturday, February 13, 2010

Having a bad day?

I had more pictures to post, but my connection is so slow today that this is the only one that took. Anyway, This poor guy is a member of the ANP. About a week ago, there were 5 ANP involved in a gunfight... with each other.  It happened about a mile from here and apparently you could see the tracers flying over camp stone. I don't know, I was sleeping. So the story is (I can't confirm it) 4 of the ANP tried to "have their way" with this guy. He didn't like the idea of that so he started shooting at them. When he was done shooting, he sped away and slammed into a road barrier and now has MAJOR head trauma. Of the other four, one is dead, two are doing well and are on a regular ward, and one is in the ICU right across from this guy. Essentially, this guy is also dead. The only thing keeping him alive is the vent. His pupils are fixed and dilated, his brain is exposed (see above). Today, Doc and I talked with the ANA docs about shutting down the vent. None of them wanted to be responsible for turning it off, because that would be killing him. They said they will have a meeting to discuss it. I said I would do it. Then the discussion (b/t me and Doc) turned into if one of us did it, they could say an American killed an ANP. So...we decided against that. We will leave the decision up to them. We're not gonna do it.
Mike

3 comments:

  1. I'd stay far in the background for that discussion..even though you are right.

    ReplyDelete