Tuesday, January 12, 2010

really???

Hey all,
I was talking to my wife earlier today, and she mentioned that I needed to update my blog. Sure enough...I do. I didn't realize it has been so long since my last entry. That could be a good thing because it would mean time is flying by. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Nothing really very interesting has been happening around here. The majority of my patients are still guys getting in the way of unlicensed, crazy drivers, and guys that still haven't figured out that it's better to unload your weapon before cleaning it. Getting the ANA to order supplies before they run out is always fun too. On a different note (sort of)... We had a ANA General come from Kabul to speak to his medical (troops) this morning. It was about public health, personal hygiene etc... He was able to stretch this lecture out for 2 hours and 45 min. Funny thing is...25 min into the lecture, my terp leaned over to me and said, " I have a flight to catch". I was like...WHAT? He got up and left. So I sat through the rest of the lecture (in Dari)...WITH NO TERP!!! Holy cow that was fun. So...I went to the terp office to get another terp...well, let's make a long story short...because quite frankly it scares the crap out of me.. Apparently, in some sort of way, he has connections with the Taliban, and is not "a good guy". Needless to say...he's no longer my terp. I should get a new one tomorrow. 3rd time's a charm...right???
On a positive note...I'm very proud of my OR crew...They are doing an excellent job, and taking pride in their  work.  BTW...who is bustedputt?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mike,
    And I thought sitting through a boring lecture was bad - can't compare with sitting through one that you can't understand - ick. So glad you're getting a new interpreter - hopefully he'll be a stand up good guy. Happy to hear your OR crew is a good one. Stay safe....xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike....I am Bustedputt....Andy Singer's mom in Indianapolis. Claire....remember the chipmunk in the peanut bag? I am an avid news follower and reader and would love to chat with you if you have time, or with anyone else there who is bored and would like a pen pal.
    We've been saying if you were still at Camp LeJeune, you'd be on your way to Haiti right now.
    How ironic....you would have WAY more to do there! Claire

    ReplyDelete